CISSP, CISA, CISM
8609 Herns Meadow Ln.
W: (801) 492-1526
McKinney, TX 75071
M: (801) 830-9987
H: (972) 548-2262
Fluent in both business and technology. 10 years of product management preceded by 10 years of software engineering. Expertise in information security. Masters degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering. Experience building enterprise, SMB and consumer software solutions. Have worked in the following industries: information security, computer networking, telephony/unified messaging, and aerospace industries. Highly organized and detail oriented.
|• Product Management||• System & Network Administration||• Product Marketing|
|• Software Development||• Tactical Execution||• Highly Organized|
|• Information Security Management||• Technical Instructor||• Detail Oriented|
|• Regulatory Compliance & Audit||• Technical Writing||• People Person|
|• Vulnerability Management||• Teaching / Mentoring||• Public Speaking|
|• Risk Analysis (IT GRC)||• Project Management||• Business Development|
|McAfee, Inc. – Plano, TX||
2006 - Present
Managed several McAfee enterprise security product lines for network security, policy compliance and risk management. Researched and documented requirements for new security products and suites. Was the lead PM for Endeavor, Citadel Hercules and Preventsys acquisitions. Telecommuted for 2 years.
Managed an advanced network malware detection solution, Network Threat
Response, including working with Dell to deliver McAfee branded hardware
appliances in record time.
• Integrated three acquired companies into McAfee: Endeavor Security, Citadel Software, Preventsys.
• Led the creation of McAfee Policy Auditor 5 on ePO 4. Achieved 113% of sales goals in first year of sales.
• Managed McAfee Policy Auditor and Remediation Manager product lines. Performed both inbound and outbound product management tasks. Worked closely with engineering, product marketing, and sales. Wrote MRDs with use cases and customer research.
• Created and led the PCI Center of Excellence initiative within McAfee.
• Hired and managed two technical product managers in Bangalore for competitive analysis in the risk and compliance space.
• Led and managed bi-weekly steering committee meetings with company executives for the risk and compliance business unit.
• Visited at least four (4) customers per quarter for inbound requirements gathering.
• Planned and organized frequent customer councils (PACs) to discover and/or validate requirements.
• Assisted with product roadmaps, quarterly business unit reviews, annual reviews for my direct reports, product launches, SE and sales training.
|PrO Unlimited – American Fork, UT||
2005 - 2006
Contracted by Symantec to write white papers as well as conduct policy research (FISMA / NIST 800-53) for Symantec ESM.
|Symantec Corporation / AXENT Technologies – American Fork, UT||
2001 - 2005
Sr. Product Manager
Managed Symantec’s flagship enterprise security policy compliance auditing solution, Symantec Enterprise Security Manager (ESM), with a team of 100+ developers and $50M+ in annual revenue. Managed the product team for all security content for applications, databases, Web servers, firewalls, and 50+ operating system platforms.
• Headed the inception,
development and maintenance of new security offerings for operating systems,
Web servers and firewalls with security
checks mapped to regulatory policies, contributing to a sustained double-digit
annual growth rate over 7 years.
• Delivered a near flawless six (6) year track record of shipping on-time quarterly security content via LiveUpdate as well as bi-weekly patch content and rapid response updates.
• Led frequent Requirements checkpoints and Commit to Solution checkpoints involving 150+ company-wide stakeholders.
• Maintained the 3-year product roadmap and business plan providing strategic direction to development and senior management.
• Regularly interfaced with the security officers of dozens of Fortune 100 companies, learning “what keeps them up at night”, and addressing their feedback with product enhancements and new solutions.
• Assisted in securing $17M of business in 2005 from a single financial institution by developing new Check Point firewall, Sybase database and other required security checks.
• Initiated development of Oracle database security checks enabling a large government customer to pass a failed audit and generate $160K in business.
• Initiated development of best practice security policies covering regulations and standards (SOX, GLBA, HIPAA, FISMA, NERC, ISO 17799, CIS Benchmarks, SANS Top 20), increasing customer awareness and sales revenue.
• Played role of “customer” for an agile programming methodology (Extreme Programming) over a 2½ year period, producing frequent deliverables and learning best practices on development methodologies.
End-to-end product management and product marketing including product concept, product / market requirements documents, development project management, product launch (collateral, white papers, competitive reviews, pricing, SKUs, training, press and analyst tours), and lifecycle management. Responsible for Symantec’s enterprise policy compliance and vulnerability assessment product lines. Managed the product team for all security content, application / database / Web server security modules and platform support for Symantec Enterprise Security Manager (ESM), Symantec’s flagship policy compliance tool. Met with customers and developed product functional requirements.
Frequent presenter for Symantec at vender and security conferences, trade shows, and universities. Presentation topics include: Top 10 Security Threats; Blended Threats; Enterprise Security Management; Anatomy of an Internet Attack; Security Policies, Standards and Regulations; Vulnerability Management; Wireless 802.11x Security; Network Vulnerability Scanners; Securing your Mission-Critical eBusiness Applications (Databases, Web Servers, and Firewalls); and SOHO Security.
|AXENT Technologies – American Fork, UT||
1998 - 2001
Technical Product Manager
Responsible for AXENT’s enterprise policy compliance and vulnerability assessment product lines. Interfaced with development, QA, marketing, sales, SEs, technical support, regional managers and upper management.
• Managed from cradle to grave, Symantec
NetRecon and Symantec
Vulnerability Assessment (network
and host-based vulnerability scanners), filling gaps in the product
portfolio and generating $3M revenue annually.
• Frequent presenter for Symantec at vender and security conferences, trade shows, and universities.
• Instituted, organized and hosted six (6) enterprise solution roundtables, meeting with groups of select customers to gather product requirements and use cases.
• Conducted in-depth and personal competitive intelligence reconnaissance, providing business-critical data enabling AXENT to outsmart their top competitors.
• Designed an externally-facing Web site to download NetRecon and issue license keys, logging over 10,000 downloads over a two (2) year period.
• Headed product reviews with leading computer publications (eWEEK, CRN) increasing product awareness.
Technologies, Inc. –
1994 - 1998
VP of Engineering / Director of Development / Development Team Leader / Senior Software Engineer
Built and managed a team of 17 software engineers developing leading edge consumer-based computer telephony products, including Windows-based voicemail servers, and client applications for visual voicemail messaging.
• Developed the industry’s first
Windows-based client to display and manage voicemail messages similar to
email, providing both the telephone keypad and graphical UI with seamless
multimedia and PBX integration.
• Ported the NetWare-based voicemail server into a Windows-based server in record time, delivering a better and easier to use solution which increased sales by over 100% in the first year.
• Traveled all over the US and Europe integrating and demonstrating the CallWare voicemail server with leading PBX vendor’s telephone switch systems bringing in over $2M in new OEM business contracts.
• Lead engineer in developing core functionality of the CallWare voicemail system, as well as implementing customer-requested capabilities, bringing the project back on schedule after my arrival.
• Controlled the entire development process, from design specifications, to development, testing, documentation, support and manufacturing for multiple product releases.
Developed all products in the CallWare product line including: Windows-based and NetWare NLM voicemail servers, Windows client applications for visual voicemail messaging, unified messaging, call control, fax servers, NDS Snap-ins, and other CTI technologies. Enabled CallWare NLMs for Novell “YES – Tested and Approved”.
Supported the business development team as Director of EOM Engineering. Managed schedules, milestones, hired and built teams to fulfill contracts, visited potential OEM sites world-wide, and replied to technical RFPs. Worked the entire development process, from design specifications, to development, testing, documentation, support and manufacturing. Worked closely with leading telecom vendors such as: Alcatel, Ericsson, Lucent Technologies, NEC, Tadiran, Telrad, IBM, Iwatsu, Fujitsu, Nortel, Mitel, Rhetorex, and Dialogic.
1992 - 1994
Development Manager / Software Engineer III
Managed the Novell NetWare NLM Development Team consisting of six (6) engineers. Responsible for hiring, reviews, promotions, and project management. Programmed using C/C++.
• Designed and coded the user
interface for Novell’s directory
services management tools., still in use today.
• Developed Novell’s upgrade and migration products as well as core NetWare utilities for NetWare 4.x using C/C++.
• Earned NetWare 4 CNA, CNE and ECNE (Master CNE) certifications.
Internationalized NetWare utilities for double-byte character support. Wrote the In-Place Upgrade NLM shipped with NetWare 4.0 and 3.12. Intimately familiar with NetWare 2.x - 4.1x.
1989 - 1992
Graphics Team Leader / Officer
Air Force officer (Captain).
Supervised eight (8) engineers and directed all graphics programming for
real-time flight simulations at Wright Lab’s Flight
• Programmed in C for UNIX workstations developing TCP/IP and UDP network drivers as well as graphical simulation consoles used in real-time simulations.
• System Administrator for 14 Silicon Graphics IRIX workstations in a classified environment (SECRET clearance).
• Awarded the Air Force Commendation Medal and Company Grade Officer of the Quarter.
Designed and implemented the lab's configuration management procedures. Taught six in-house short courses on UNIX, C, and X Windows. Extra duties as branch security briefing officer.
Part-time night school instructor teaching a C/C++ programming language course (CIS 233).
Typing Service –
1990 - 1992
Small Business Manager
Managed a successful in-home typesetting business. Directed advertising, purchasing, IT, training, and finances. Developed editing skills and an eye for detail. Typeset complex mathematical equations for master thesis papers.
Wrote an MS-DOS program called ShorthandPlus which replaced abbreviations with full words increasing one's typing speed. Is memory resident (TSR). Also created a file analyzer program to read any file and produce a useful abbreviation list. Paid $2,300.00 and promised $10 per package sold up to $27,500.
1988 - 1989
Coded 120+ numerical analysis programs in C to be used with the text Numerical Analysis by Burden and Faires. Purchased and used by BYU's Mathematics Dept. Typeset it into a 650 page book titled Numerical Analysis Algorithms in C (v4.1). Had it Copyrighted and sent it to PWS-KENT Publishing Company. Was marketed through Care-Free Software in Dayton, OH.
1986 - 1989
Provided private tutoring to BYU students in all areas of mathematics, electrical and civil engineering. Also tutored a mathematics professor in the C programming language. $7 - $10/hr.
Electrical Engineering Dept. –
1987 - 1989
Digital Teacher's Assistant
Assisted engineering students with design and debugging of digital logic and state machines, 8086 microprocessor interfacing, programming in assembly language and in UNIX on HP Integral and ICON Mini-computers. Specialized in helping with C programming. TA'ed for a VLSI course, paper graded for a Feedback class and graded laboratory assignments. $9.10/hr.
Apartments, 670 N. 300 E. –
Assisted with check-ins and check-out inspections. Responsible for 42 units when the managers where out of town. Mowed lawns, fixed sprinklers, repaired plumbing, and other maintenance work. Rent-free summer.
Mathematics Dept. –
1985 - 1987
Tutored college students in the Math Lab in algebra, trigonometry, business calculus, differential, integral, and vector calculus. Leadership position as upper-level calculus specialist. $6.50/hr.
Apartments, Robert Ream –
1986 - 1987
Shampooed carpets, painting, landscaping, lawn mowing, repaired fences, installed door locks, and pool cleaning, and furniture assembly. $5.00/hr.
Force ROTC – Lackland
Pre-Professional Officer Training Camp
Four grueling weeks of extensive physical and mental training. Learned leadership and management techniques for business and officership.
|The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints – South Africa & Zimbabwe||
1983 - 1985
Full time voluntary service as a missionary in Africa. Held various positions and supervised activities of eight other representatives. Developed extensive interpersonal relations, organizational, teaching, and time-management skills.
E. Toomey, Dentist –
1979 - 1982
Dental Laboratory Technician
Developed skills in making dentures, partials, gold crowns, bridges, and jewelry, from wax model carving to gold casting and polishing. Supervised the dental laboratory. $25.00/hr.
E. Toomey, Dentist –
1980 - 1983
Assisted with all routine dental procedures as well as with minor oral surgery. Certified in the state of California (Board of Dental Examiners) to operate x-ray equipment. Automated the dental office by designing and implementing computer programs to remind patients of their next check-up. $6.00/hr.
|Boy Scouts of America – Camp Kern, Lakeshore, CA||
Craft and Program Center Director
Full time camp staff. Supervised merit badge counselors and equipment. Supervised the archery range. Taught weekly classes for eight (8) merit badges. Organized campfires. $50.00/wk.
High School Food Service –
1978 - 1982
serving, food service window worker, cashiering. $4.00/hr.
Emphasis in computer architecture, VLSI design, and signal processing. Thesis in Numerical Analysis. GPA 3.69Minors in Mathematics and Aerospace Studies. Emphasis in digital computer architecture. GPA 3.70Took college prep classes. Ranked in top 10% of graduating class. Participated in mathletes and wrestling. GPA 3.61Graduated from four (4) years of early morning seminary. Religious instruction / Bible study.
INFORMATION SECURITY CERTIFICATIONS
EMPLOYER HONORS & AWARDS
COLLEGE AND MILITARY HONORS & AWARDS
Extremely Organized, Creative, Strategic and very Tactical, Loyal, Technophile
Secret (expired 1999)
• Visited 22
different countries on four (4)
Fluent in English. Speak Afrikaans, 3 years of high school German and some Spanish
Operating System Platforms
MS Windows Vista
McAfee ePO 4
Network Malware & IPS
On-line Resumé: http://www.toomey.org/harold/resume