IT Security Director with extensive experience in information security operations, technologies, software development, and product management
CISSP, CISA, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT
4701 Forest Cove Dr.
McKinney, TX 75071
M: (801) 830-9987
H: (972) 548-2262
To lead a team on the operational side of information security utilizing my experience on McAfee’s Global Security team, a decade of IT security product management experience and a decade of IT engineering and team management experience.
- CISSP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, ITIL v3, NSA IAM, Master CNE
- Bilingual in both business and technology
- Team and project management, business planning, presentation skills, running steering committees, and organizing product advisory councils
- Security policy authoring, publishing, assessing, and enforcing
- Policy and compliance audit and vulnerability assessment
- Security awareness and training
- Software development, QA, launch and product lifecycle skills
McAfee, Inc., an Intel Company – Plano, TX
Senior IT Security Engineer, Jan 2010 – Present
- Member of the Security Governance team under McAfee Global Security.
- Responsible for all IT and security policies. Design policy architecture and defined the corporate policy management process. Created and manage the McAfee policy intranet site containing 150+ corporate policies. Conducted multiple department training.
- Conduct compliance audits for PCI DSS, SOX 404 & 302, and ISO 27001 ISMS.
- Enabled the Security Governance team to be the first to obtain ISO 27001 certification.
- Launched a corporate-wide security awareness and training program.
WyzAnt Inc. – McKinney, TX
Calculus and Physics Tutor, 2009 – Present
- After my day job I tutor a dozen students in advanced math, physics, chemistry, SAT/ACT exam preparation and chess.
- See my WyzAnt profile at: www.wyzant.com/Tutors/CalculusTutor
TES @ McAfee, Inc. – Plano, TX
Product Manager (Contractor), 2009
- Successfully integrated the Endeavor Security acquisition (2009) into McAfee, including people, products and processes.
- Managed an advanced network malware detection solution, Network Threat Response (NTR), including working with Dell to deliver McAfee branded hardware appliances ahead of schedule.
- Helped generate ~$4M in revenue within the first year, more than paying for the acquisition.
McAfee, Inc. – Plano, TX
Group Product Manager, 2006 – 2009
- Successfully led the acquisition and integration of both Citadel Software (2007) and Preventsys (2006) into McAfee to put McAfee on the IT GRC map.
- Led the creation of McAfee Policy Auditor 5 on ePO 4, touted as the poster child for tight ePO integration and exceeding FY 2008 sales goals.
- Nicknamed “Dr. Compliance” by my management team.
- Broke new ground by hiring and successfully managing a team of product managers in India which delivered top notch competitive analysis in the risk and compliance space.
- Became the resident expert in organizing both steering committee meetings as well as customer advisory councils.
Symantec Corporation – American Fork, UT
Sr. Product Manager, 2001 – 2005
- Managed the product team for all security policy content introducing application, database, Web server, and firewall checks while supporting 50+ operating system platforms, contributing to a sustained double-digit annual growth rate over seven (7) years.
- Initiated development of best practice security policies covering ISO 17799, HIPAA, SOX, FISMA, NIST, Basel II and other regulations and standards, producing at least two new regulatory policies each quarter.
- Delivered a near flawless six (6) year track record of shipping on-time quarterly security content via LiveUpdate as well as bi-weekly patch content.
- Regularly interfaced with the security officers of dozens of Fortune 100 companies, learning “what keeps them up at night”, and addressing their feedback with product enhancements.
AXENT Technologies – American Fork, UT (acquired by Symantec)
Technical Product Manager, 1998 – 2001
- Managed network and host-based vulnerability scanners from cradle to grave, filling gaps in the product portfolio and generating $3M revenue annually.
- Frequent presenter at vender and security conferences, trade shows, and universities.
- Conducted in-depth competitive intelligence reconnaissance, raising both eyebrows and the bar.
CallWare Technologies, Inc. – Salt Lake City, UT
VP of Engineering, 1994 – 1998
- Rapidly promoted from Senior Software Engineer, to Development Team Leader, to Director of Development, then to VP of Engineering where I built and managed a team of 17 software development engineers for two (2) years.
- Pioneered unified messaging by seamlessly integrating networked computers (NetWare and Windows) with PBX telephone systems while developing the industry’s first Windows-based client to display and manage voicemail messages similar to email.
Novell, Inc. – Provo, UT
Development Manager / Software Engineer III, 1992 – 1994
- Promoted from Software Engineer III to Development Manager. Managed the Novell NetWare NLM Development Team consisting of six (6) software engineers.
- Developed Novell’s upgrade and migration products as well as core NetWare utilities for NetWare 4.x using C/C++. Designed and coded the user interface for Novell’s directory services management tools.
U.S. Air Force, Wright Laboratory – Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
Graphics Team Leader / Officer, 1989 – 1992
- Commissioned Air Force officer (Captain), honorable discharge, SECRET security clearance.
- Supervised eight (8) engineers and directed all graphics programming for real-time flight simulations.
- Programmed in C, Ada, and FORTRAN on UNIX workstations. Developed TCP/IP and UDP network drivers as well as real-time graphical avionics consoles.
- System Administrator for UNIX workstations in a classified environment.
- Awarded the Air Force Commendation Medal and Company Grade Officer of the Quarter.
- MS Electrical and Computer Engineering, Brigham Young University, 1989
- BS Electrical Engineering, Brigham Young University, Cum Laude, 1988
LEADERSHIP AND TRAINING
- Board of Directors, ISSA North Texas Chapter, Vice President, 2012
- Board of Directors, ISSA Utah Chapter, Education and Seminar Director, 2005 & 2006
- McAfee Emergency Response Team, certificate of proficiency, 2011
- McAfee VirusScan and ePolicy Orchestrator Training, McAfee, Inc., 2008
- Pragmatic Marketing Certified, Pragmatic Marketing, 2006 & 1999
- Professional Presenter Training, Blue Streak, 2003
- Real-World Project Management, Fred Pryor Seminars, 2000
- Advanced Uses of Symantec ESM – Part 1, Symantec, 2005
- Policy Compliance Checking: Making the Right Decisions,, Symantec, 2004
- Network vs. Host-Based Vulnerability Management, Symantec, 2004
- Securing Enterprise Wireless Networks, Symantec, 2003
- Corporate Security Policy and 80-20 Rule of Information Security, Symantec, 2003
- Numerical Analysis Algorithms in C with 120+ mathematics algorithms coded in C
- Held a SECRET security clearance
- Travelled to 22 different countries on four (4) continents, including: North America, Europe, Asia, Japan, Africa, and Central America
- Lived in South Africa and Zimbabwe for 1½ years leading a group of volunteers.
- Speak English, Afrikaans, some German, some Spanish, and eight (8) computer programming languages
- BSA Eagle Scout with silver palm and Wood Badge for the 21st Century